One of the highest honors the ACR can bestow on members in good standing is recognition as a Fellow of the American College of Radiology (FACR). Only 10 percent of College members have been awarded this honor.
The FACR applcation cycle is now open! Our chapter deadline is May 1, 2021.
ACR Fellows demonstrate a history of service to the College, organized radiology, teaching, and/or research. FACR is awarded to diagnostic radiologists, radiation oncologists, interventional radiologists, medical physicists, and nuclear medicine physicians at the convocation ceremony held during the ACR annual meeting.
Helpful information regarding FACR process can be found in the resource: Pathway to ACR Fellowship.
The Committee on Fellowship Credentials (CFC) measures each candidate's credentials against the Nomination Criteria rubric where members are not in competition with one another. The CFC forwards its nominations to the Board of Chancellors for its review and approval decisions. Among other requirements, candidates must fulfill criteria under one or more domains:
- Service to the ACR at national or chapter level(s) and/or organized radiology/medicine at national, regional, state, or local levels
- Outstanding teaching of diagnostic radiology, interventional radiology, nuclear medicine, radiation oncology, and/or medical physics
- Significant scientific or clinical research in radiology or significant contributions to the literature
You are encouraged to review the ACR Fellowship Guidelines, ACR Bylaws and Nomination Criteria, or Military Nomination Criteria prior to beginning an application.
- The minimum eligibility requirement is 10 cumulative years of ACR post-training membership. You may confirm your eligibility with a membership inquiry to .
- Radiation oncologists may choose to have chapter application review with their current chapter or CARROS chapter.
- Active-duty military are exempt from chapter review and may submit applications directly to the college by June 30th. However, if already a chapter member they can choose that route.
- At least two current Fellows must endorse your application. Use the membership directory to identify email addresses to submit your endorsement requests through the application platform.
- Seek guidance from the NC fellowship chair Valerie Jewells DO, FACR, FAOCR prior to the chapter deadline of May 1, 2020.
- Attendance at the convocation ceremony during the Annual Meeting in May 2021 is necessary for the honor to be conferred unless approval is deferred to a subsequent convocation
For additional information, contact .
January 2020 - Application cycle opens
May 1, 2020 - NC Chapter officer's application review and recommendation submission to the Committee on Fellowship Credentials
Summer 2020 - ACR Review
October 2020 - Notifications
May 2021 - Convocation